Monday, February 9, 2009

Some things I thought about while killing time in this hallway...

Well, it's Monday. I didn't have to do my presentation today because the teacher ended up talking for a long time. Our class is having a really difficult time with the subjunctive. I thought about doing it anyway (in 15 minutes) because I was, for the most part, prepared, but I can always use a little extra time and I really didn't want to have to rush to finish in 15 minutes when the presentation needs to be at least 10 and is 15% of our grade. I managed to get what seems like a good deal of homework today, for some reason. Maybe I'll try to do it all tonight. I kind of like not procrastinating. At least recently it has given me extra time to work on my presentations and the like. Unfortunately, I was planning on beginning to study for midterms immediately after I completed my presentation, so now I'll have two days left for that, but I guess it's okay. I'm working on it.


I'm not sure why... whether it's the walking, the weather, or I'm just getting old... but ever since I've been here, my old soccer injury has been hurting me. One time, while I was playing a game of soccer in summer gym, I managed to kick the ball with my foot straight and pretty much crushed my big toe. No one told me that you are supposed to kick the ball with the inside of your foot and it really didn't occur to me. It wasn't that big of a deal. I had to sit out for the rest of the game and my big toe looked a little crooked (it still does), but it didn't hurt too badly. Two or three days later, I ran 3 miles on it and did just fine, so I thought I was good. But now, it's been killing me. I wonder if I'm going to be one of those people that always knows when it's going to rain because the drop in pressure has affected my misplaced joint. Usually, though, those people are really old.


Other news: My host mom seems to be taking an interest in my learning Spanish after I mentioned that I felt one of my biggest faults as her charge was that I couldn't speak very well and that the majority of the Americans (really all of them) do not want to speak in Spanish when we speak together. We had to sign this agreement that we would always speak in Spanish in class, with each other, and outside of class, but so far I haven't noticed anyone following this. Anyway, she taught me how to say "leaf" today by pointing out the "hoja" on the stem of a tangerine. And she's talking to me more slowly and explaining words that I don't know. So that's an improvement. I still should find an intercambio, but I'm too afraid to inconvenience people. I'm hoping to just run into one, like Dah-veed's roommate (I'm just going to spell it phonetically from now on because this guy just doesn't look like a David and I don't want anyone to get it messed up). 


I should really start taking pictures of my American "friends". I don't know if I'll ever see any of them ever again (maybe I'll head to Bowling Green sometime to hang out with them), but it would be nice to at least have pictures of them. Especially the ones that seem to like me. People have taken pictures of me, but so far, only a few have posted them on facebook and tagged me. I don't even think I am facebook friends with a bunch of them. I'm really terrible at finding people. I let them come to me.


Anyway, I should do something constructive. Not that this isn't constructive, but...

1 comment:

Ruth E. Insco said...

Nicky, I miss you.
I wanted to let you know I am enjoying reading about your times there. I bet you cannot wait until Mom and Dad get there.
Wanted to let you know I startted my own blog as a part of healing. I hope you will throw soemthing my way after you read it so I do not get too dark.
Love you A. Ruth