Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Exhaustion (You Might See This Title A Lot)

Short post tonight because I am exhausted. I haven't been sleeping well at all the last three nights. I've been having very vivid dreams and my mind is just in overdrive while I'm supposed to be trying to sleep. 


I'm going back to Madrid tomorrow, which should be a blast. I'm not going to forget my camera this time, or I will come back to get it. Speaking of, I should probably charge my battery now, just in case. 


Yesterday was a relatively uneventful day. I did lots of homework, too much. I take a lot longer to do my homework than I think is intended and therefore am constantly working. My host mom called me a "trabajadora", a hard worker, even though I didn't complete nearly as much as I wanted. 


I stopped at a Chinos today and bought some ties for my hair (because it's getting very long, I'm wondering if I shouldn't go get it cut... maybe when it gets a little warmer), some nail polish, and nail polish remover. I went all out and spent a total of 4 euro. I'm such a miser, but I'm saving my money just in case I want to travel more than I think. However, my nails look pretty good now, which is practically a first. The nail polish was a bit pinker than I intended, but I didn't like any of the other colors. I might go back and get a pearl color. I didn't buy it because it was so transparent, but I think three coats might look nice. The nail polish is like 0,75 cents, and it's not bad either. I love the Chinos.


At some point, I'm really going to splurge and go to the pastry shop. That will be a fantastic day, but I feel a little like a closet eater sneaking off to the pastry shop by myself. Maybe I can convince someone else to go with me.


So, most people call me Nicky. Here though, everyone pretty much calls me Nicole, which is absolutely fine and it's easier than having to tell people over and over to call me Nicky when they can barely pick up Nicole (I was trying to be a bit more extroverted on this trip, as one of my goals, but I still heard someone say, "That's Nicole. She's quiet."). Anyway, I'm not that used to being called Nicole, just here and there by random people, and so I don't always realize that someone is talking to me when they say it. I know it sounds weird to not automatically respond to your own name, but more than a few times on this trip, I block out my own name like it's background noise. I've been telling people here and there why, but I still look the fool.


I ate arroz con leche today for the first time. Rice with milk sounds like one of the most disgusting combinations of food actually made, but it was surprisingly good. I think there was a ton of sugar in it and lots of cinnamon. It tasted a bit like pumpkin pie mix.


Okay. I stole a few more pictures from people today from the Madrid trip, including the pirate. If I can get them to load on slow, stolen internet, I'll load them now, but if not, I'll give up and try again later. 


I'm so tired.


Feed the birds! Arrg!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've had rice pudding, which sounds pretty much exactly like arroz con leche, and I thought it was pretty good stuff too. I hope that you get some rest and have a blast in Madrid!