Sunday, January 4, 2009

Why am I going? Here are my goals.

In less than one week I will travel to Spain and stay for nearly four months. I will leave my family, my friends (because I really don't know the other people going), my boyfriend, Tom (of five years), and my pets (who I am going to miss more than is probably reasonable).

I am not traveling to Europe to "find myself", as some young adults do, because I've never really liked the idea of needing to discover yourself. Shouldn't you know who you are? I think a great deal of self-reflection and determination would accomplish as much and is much cheaper. I am going to Europe because I know who I am, and I know who I want to become and this experience will lead me to that end much faster than any other, and I have the time and opportunity right now. Besides, how many people get this opportunity? I'm convinced that everyone is very very jealous of me right now, or should be.

I want to excel in my chosen career. I begin medical school in August and being a doctor fluent (or close to it) in Spanish would be very helpful in career opportunities.

I want to become independent. I am leaving my family, my friends, Tom, etc. to take care of myself, learn a new language, experience a new culture, and have fun. This is not an everyday occurrence for me. I am convinced that I can take care of myself and thrive with only limited communication with the people I love, but now I'm going to prove it. And in the face of overwhelming loneliness and culture shock, I will become a stronger, more independent person.

I want to gain some confidence. I'm a really shy person. Although I've gotten better throughout my college years, I used to suffer a lot of anxiety even just talking to someone I didn't know. If I can start and maintain a conversation with someone I don't know in a language I don't especially know, social interactions in English should be rather easy. Face your fears, right? Only times a million.

This is my first real step into adulthood really. I'm going to face the world, almost literally. I figured that it's about time. I've already put off finishing school and starting a "real" job by getting into medical school and committing to at least four more years. Rather than go because I should for a major or minor, I'm going to go to overcome the difficulty and hopefully have a fantastic and memorable experience at the same time. 

I expect this is going to be really hard for me, but when it's over, I'll have some great memories and I'll have taken another step toward who I want to be. I will encounter the person I am striving to be: myself, only better. Besides, after this, medical school should be a breeze.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nicky you are such a wonderful and courageous person who I envy the chances and choices you have made.
I love and miss you dearly
A. Ruth